In the mid 1830s the Deputy Surveyor General considered Coogee bay, as known back then, as a suitable area for 'marine villas'. The area was surveyed in 1837 and a small town developed. The original track which brought people to the Coogee bay area back in 1838 would have followed the basic route nowadays taken by Anzac Parade and Alison Road.
By 1874 several hundred people were resident in Coogee. In 1883 the tramline made the area accessible to day trippers.
In July 1838, the streets of Coogee were named after sea creatures. Today "Dolphin St., Neptune St., and Bream St.," still remain whilst it is understood that Coogee Bay Road and Arden Street were later renamed from their original "Whale St" and "Fish St".
As surf bathing became more popular, so did the area gain fame and in 1907 the Coogee Surf Lifesaving Club was formed and Coogee bay was now known as Coogee beach.
In 1928 an amusement pier was constructed. It commenced at the promenade and reached over 170 metres into the sea, however heavy seas took their toll and the structure was demolished in 1934.
Coogee was also famous for its large domed building at the northern end of the beach known as the "Coogee Beach Aquarium". This building with its gardens, sea water baths and restaurants attracted great crowds until it too was demolished for safety reasons. However in its place a new building with a similar appearance to the original now stands next to Coogee Sands Hotel & Apartments.
The future will see further improvements to the coastal area, with coastal walkways and the proposed changes to the seaside parklands and local shopping area streetscape.